Mission - Dethrone God, make your own,
or make yourself a god
In his pride and conceit, the thief Satan considers himself to be the equal of the Most High God - aiming to steal His throne and defraud His kingdom.
- He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God's temple, proclaiming himself to be God. (2 Thessalonians 2:4 NIV)
- For you have said in your heart: 'I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will also sit on the mount of the congregation On the farthest sides of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High.' (Isaiah 14:13-14 NKJV)
- ...the devil took Him up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. And he said to Him, "All these things I will give You if You will fall down and worship me." (Matthew 4:8-9 NKJV)
- "...the ruler of this world ..." (John 14:30 NKJV)
- "I know your works, and where you dwell, where Satan's throne is." (Revelation 2:13 NKJV)
- ...the whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one. (1 John 5:19 NKJV)
- ...in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others. (Ephesians 2:1-3 NKJV)
- ...the things which the Gentiles sacrifice they sacrifice to demons and not to God, and I do not want you to have fellowship with demons. (1 Corinthians 10:20 KJV)
- Shall the throne of iniquity, which devises evil by law, have fellowship with You? They gather together against the life of the righteous, and condemn innocent blood. (Psalm 94:20-21 NKJV)
- Just as he tempted Jesus with this lie, the devil will promise you the world if you would only worship him rather than the only true God.
- The phrase "sell your soul to the devil" is more than figurative rhetoric. Satan offers freedom and autonomy, but delivers slavery and tyranny.
- Christians are "bought with a price", redeemed from the purchase of the devil, and are bondservant to their new Master. Nevertheless, the flesh strugles against Holy Spirit for rule over the child of God's daily life. Similar to enlisting in the army, only to have your old boss complain when you don't show up for work.