Christ's Spiritual Strongholds
The LORD is our singular stronghold and only source of deliverance. The fruit of the Holy Spirit fortifies the spirit of man against the desires of the flesh and the assaults of the enemy.
- The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised; so shall I be saved from my enemies. (Psalm 18:2-3 NKJV)
- Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle - my lovingkindness and my fortress, my high tower and my deliverer, my shield and the One in whom I take refuge... (Psalm 144:1-2a NKJV)
- The LORD is their strength, and He is the saving refuge of His anointed. Save Your people, and bless Your inheritance; Shepherd them also, and bear them up forever. (Psalm 28:8-9 NKJV)
- ...when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. (Titus 3:4-7 NKJV)
- "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." (John 3:3 NKJV)
- For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. (1 Peter 1:23 NIV)
- ...as it is written: "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man he things which God has prepared for those who love Him." But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God. These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. (1 Corinthians 2:9-13 NKJV)
- The horse is prepared for the day of battle, but deliverance is of the LORD. (Proverbs 21:31 NKJV)
- Yes, we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves but in God who raises the dead, who delivered us from so great a death, and does deliver us; in whom we trust that He will still deliver us, you also helping together in prayer for us... (2 Corinthians 1:9-11a NKJV)
- ...brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may run swiftly and be glorified, just as it is with you, and that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men; for not all have faith. But the Lord is faithful, who will establish you and guard you from the evil one. (2 Thessalonians 3:1-3 NKJV)
- But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that the message might be preached fully through me, and that all the Gentiles might hear. Also I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion. And the Lord will deliver me from every evil work and preserve me for His heavenly kingdom. To Him be glory forever and ever. Amen! (2 Timothy 4:17-18 NKJV)
- ...do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. (Romans 12:2 NKJV)
- For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. (Ephesians 5:8-10 NKJV)
- Whoever has no rule over his own spirit is like a city broken down, without walls. (Proverbs 25:28 NKJV)
- But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. (Galatians 5:22-23a NKJV)
- Hide Your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. (Psalm 51:9-11 NKJV)
- Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal. (2 Corinthians 4:16-18 NKJV)
- A stronghold in ancient times was a stationary defensive structure - often a walled city, or a high tower, situated if at all possible to take advantage of natural terrain such as a hilltop.
- Throughout history, the protection bestowed by a stronghold was relative to the development of new weapons. Siege weapons, and eventually the cannon, rendered stone walls and high towers obsolete. The rifled cannon made thick earthen fortifications useless. The mechanized tank ended trench warfare. The development of the airplane and ever more powerful bombs has made static defenses of all types practically futile. In a sense, armored tanks and airplanes became mobile strongholds.
- Although our mortal bodies remain vulnerable to enemy fire, the born-again Christian is a mobile spiritual stronghold which God deploys deep within enemy territory, reinforced with angelic hosts and sheltered by divine providence.
- The primary point of attack of God's forces is spiritual rebirth. Nothing short of success at that point can be deemed victory. If everything else goes wrong, that rebirth has eternal consequences.
- The preaching of the incorruptible Word of God by a witness with a loving heart, and a changed life anointed by the Holy Spirit is the key to winning the battle.
- We do not "win" souls to provide a punched ticket to heaven after we die. We are "born again" immediately, to make full value of this life, and all things are a new creation.
- There are no prerequite good works for being "born again", but we are born a new creature to do good works.
- Our spirit is renewed and our mind is transformed in the image of Jesus Christ by reading, studying, and meditating upon the Word of God. Only through the Holy Bible and prayer can we prove and perform God's will with a renewed anointing of the Holy Spirit.
- While in this mortal body, the eternal fruit of rebirth seems to ebb and flow while this body perishes. Joy is eternal, but we have to rejoice... or re- joy... looking beyond the things that are seen to the things that are unseen.
- Nothing that you can see with your eyes in this creation will survive, except what God creates anew. Every single thing not regenerated and not redeemed from Satan's power will be burnt in fire.
- If you are reading this, you are either one of the reborn, or one to whom God's mercy is still offering real life.